Looking to liven up your living space by painting a room, accent wall, cabinets, or trim? One of the best places to turn for inspiration is the color of the year, and 2019 does not disappoint. While the color of the year might seem like an arbitrary selection, companies such as Pantone, Benjamin Moore, and the Color Marketing Group assemble teams to scour the world and pick a color (or palette) that embodies the pulse of the present moment.
While your interior paint job will probably outlast the year, the colors of 2019 are sure to enrich your living space for years to come.
Living Coral, Pantone Color of 2019
HGTV offers some insight into Pantone’s reasons for choosing “Living Coral” as 2019’s color of the year:
Inspired by nature and symbolizing our innate need for optimism, Pantone’s pick is a reaction to the onslaught of digital technology increasingly embedding into daily life. Pantone says Living Coral represents the pursuit of authentic and immersive experiences that enable connection and intimacy.
Living Coral Interior Design Ideas:
- According to interior designer Carolyn Pressly, “Instead of using coral literally, you can separate it into its orange and pink counterparts.”
- Use as an accent wall and pair with muted colors, such as grey, beige, and olive.
- Interior paint color matches include Tangerine Dream 2012-20 by Benjamin Moore and Siesta Rose by PPG.
Metropolitan AF-690, Benjamin Moore’s Color of 2019
Ellen O’Neill, director of strategic design intelligence at Benjamin Moore, explains this year’s choice to HGTV:
It’s a color in the neutral spectrum that references a contemplative state of mind and design. Not arresting nor aggressive, this understated yet glamorous gray creates a soothing, impactful common ground.
- Paint on living room walls and pair with strong jewel tones like burgundy and emerald.
- Use in kitchen to create a calming environment.
- To facilitate an enchanting and restful atmosphere, paint on bedroom walls.
Night Watch, PPG’s Color of 2019
Dee Schlotter, PPG senior color marketing manager, describes his team’s 2019 decision:
The restorative power of nature is important in society now more than ever. Night Watch is about bringing the healing power from the outdoors into your home through color. The dark green hue pulls our memories of natural environments to the surface to recreate the calming, invigorating euphoria we feel when in nature.
Night Watch Interior Design Ideas: Dee Schlotter offers these tips:
- The color can be used for a focal accent wall in a bedroom or dining room.
- Pair it with gold or brass accents and décor.
- Utilize in places separated from the outdoors, such as an accent wall in a windowless hospital hallway.
Feeling inspired? Tell us how you plan on using the interior paint colors of 2019 below!